GTA as Social Study

A few nights ago, I got sucked into the world of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. After all the conversations in my classes before the end of the semester, I wanted to explore the world from a societal reflection of violence and culture. My challenge with GTA: Vice City is that I wanted to play it as a Role Playing Game. I tried to converse with the people walking down the street, testing the limits of the law enforcement, and exploring the city. I wanted a living world with consequences for my actions.

Although I was disappointed playing GTA this way because Vice City was mission focused, I continued to come back to explore. I wanted to see what kind of life choices I could make within the framework of the game. GTA as a social commentary is not a new idea and there's a body of work about it. One article that stuck with me recently was a post on MIT's Henry Jenkins blog.

The article was on research done by Kurt Squire on teenagers perceptions of GTA: San Andreas. You have to scroll down to get to the article via the link here... but it is well worth it. Here are a few quotes that peaked my interest:

In fact, these kids were a little offended that white researchers would focus on gaming violence rather than the real violence surrounding them... These same kids were concerned that white kids might also think that it's easy to leave the ghetto:
"The most unrealistic part of the game is that as a black man, you can't just up and buy a house."
The social dialog on race and class in America that GTA: San Andreas could stimulate would be a great discussion. Unfortunately, too often it is easier to target and attack the violent depictions, rather than engage in a discussion about the acts and circumstances depicted.


Photo via Flickr.com by Gem

3 comments:

dating girls said...

Put it to use although do not neglect the item. Just like something in daily life, attend online courting, playing with small amounts.

Anonymous said...

Once the cover of the moisture balance is closed the drying process starts, and will stop under any one of the three scenarios noted above. For Dry Fruits the target moisture content is 17 to 18%, which should be reached in 27 to 32 minutes. The moisture analyzer backlit LCD display will show moisture content in percent, the current moisture content, the drying time for previous samples and the current temperature. Data are output by a RS232 interface to a computer or printer for GLP/GMP record keeping.

Anonymous said...

I am stay tuned here for your next blog, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this subject. eid sms messages l independence day messages l ramadan sms