Welcome to Research Quest

Welcome to everyone who's stopped by because of my discussion on fantasy sports & information literacy. My post was picked up on a variety of sites from information literacy blogs to fantasy football sites, the most notable link is from The Chronicle's Wired blog.

Research Quest is a daily blog (usually) focused on using video games and gaming strategies in information literacy. This includes comments on video games industry news, and the larger discipline of video game studies & research. I'll occasionally discuss topics outside the scope of game-based learning, like the fantasy football post that brought many of you here. Since my traffic has spiked over the last few days due to this post, I want to take a moment to welcome new readers and provide a little background on my site.

The focus on instruction started with a post that would become the foundation for my application of video gaming strategies. I followed up that post with 5 steps for using games. The analysis and similarities about "Why Our Attempts Fail" both in research and in gaming is another starting point for gaming application.

I wrote a series of posts (starting here) reflecting on the results of using open ended game strategies for a research writing review session. The results really opened my eyes about how we teach and how we could teach. I included some student reaction and comments in the final post as well. There are also some detailed notes on my opened ended /branching lectures and my branching "choose your own adventure" article search from this spring as well.

Finally, there are is a post on how the frustration playing games can help non-gamers understand what our students might go through with library interfaces.

Take a few moments; subscribe to the RSS feed and dig back through the last few months here at Research Quest. I'd love to get your comments on these ideas and any others you want to share.

Thank you for reading and I hope that together we can find ways to use video games and gaming strategies to increase our students' success.

0 comments: