Playing Catch Up After GLLS


I'd like to say that I was able to take a little break and relax after getting back from Chicago and but that hasn't been the case. I the ALA Tech Source Symposium,came back home to a sick wife and a week full of strategic planning meetings. While the meetings were productive and my wife is healthy, everything added up to a busy week that challenged me to hold on to the momentum of GLLS.

The Symposium itself was great and I throughly enjoyed the sessions and conversations each day. I'm thankful for the discussions I was able to have with people I've only traded emails with, and I feel fortunate to have made a handful of new contacts. I look forward to how everyone's projects work out over the coming year. There are a lot of exciting projects in the works and I hope that I'll be able to highlight some of them soon. It is great to see academic librarians approach videogames and information literacy from all different angles.

The more I talked with people at GLLS, the more I realized that what I started in our information literacy program last year was more than just tacking on gaming strategies to our sessions. What we have started at the University of Dubuque is a complete revision of our information literacy program through the lens of videogame strategies and game-based learning.

I will come back to this idea over the next couple of weeks as I develop it and share what this revision means in terms of teaching strategies, pedagogy, and ACRL standards. But before I begin that discussion, I want to reflect and analyze Henry Jenkins' and James Paul Gee's keynote speeches. I'll be back tomorrow with my thoughts and applications from Jenkins' keynote at GLLS.

Boring Stock photo from Salopek Consulting Ltd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad GLLS 2007 was as inspiring for you as it was for me! My mind is *churning* on Greg Trefry's presentation, too, as well as those of all of the keynoters. It's going to be a great year for gaming in libraries.

I'm looking forward to updates on what you're doing, Paul, and I hope to see you on the stage presenting at GLLS 2008. :)

Nice to have finally met you in person!

Jenny Levine

Paul said...

Wow. Thanks Jenny, both for the comments and all the work you put into GLLS 2007.